Remoifosse is also known for a famous event happening on December 22, 1944. That day, the Germans tried to persuade the besieged American troops in the Bastogne perimeter to surrender.

Their answer is written in History …… NUTS!

Testimony of Mrs GUEBEN-LEFEBVRE wife of Aymard Gueben, civilian, 23 years old in 1944.

Our family had taken refuge in Remoifosse, on my father’s farm. Around 9:30 a.m. on Friday, December 22, four Germans in a car, two officers and two soldiers, stopped in front of the farm. They are asking for a large sheet which could serve as a white flag for them to negotiate with the Americans, a few hundred meters further on. But we have practically nothing left, The Germans have already taken all our lingerie. My sister Juliette, however, hid a few objects. She has, I can still see it, a white bedspread with fringes like we had in those days. She gives it to my husband who takes it to the German representatives. They cover the hood of their vehicle with this original flag and leave for the American outpost of the Kessler farm. You know the rest.

Testimonies collected in 1993 and 1994 by Patricia Lemaire and Robert Fergloute.

The senior officer was a Major Wagner (one of von Lüttwitz’s adjutants in 47th Panzer Corps). The junior officer, Lt. Hellmuth Henke of the Panzer Lehr Operations Section, was carrying a briefcase under his arm. The two enlisted men had been selected from the 901st Panzer Grenadier Regiment of the Panzer Lehr Division.

The Americans defending in that location were members of F Company of the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. Staff Sergeant Dickinson and Private first Class Premetz left the two German enlisted men there and took the two German officers to the Kessler farmhouse. 

The two German officers were then taken to the Command Post of F Company, 327th GIR; a large foxhole located in a wooded area about a quarter mile away.

The F Company Executive Officer, Lt. William J. Herzke, was on the phone, reading the message to their Battalion Command Post in Marvie. The 2nd Battalion Command Post then notified the 327th Regimental Headquarters in Bastogne. Regimental Operations Officer, Major Alvin Jones answered as Colonel Bud Harper (CO of the regiment) was absent and notified the Division Headquarters in Bastogne asking for instructions. He was told to retrieve the message and bring it to the Division Headquarters, so he drove to the F Company Command Post and was given the message.

It eventually ended up in the hands of Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe who replied with the now famous word …

The reply read:

“December 22, 1944

To the German Commander,

N U T S !

The American Commander”